What better way to end a summer’s day on the beach than with a BBQ!
So you’ll be pleased to know that the beaches of Bournemouth and Poole allow you to do just that.
You can have a BBQ on the beach after 6.00pm but please note that only disposable barbeques can be used, no open fires are permitted. Please dispose of your BBQ safely and responsibly and ensure that you dowse hot coals first. Cinder bins are available in various locations. DO NOT put your BBQ in the normal rubbish or recycling bins.
BCP COUNCIL have also installed some electric barbecues along Bournemouth and Poole’s seafront at some popular locations, including some accessible for wheelchair-users. This will reduce the use of temporary barbecues which can be dangerous if not carefully disposed of and add to littering issues. They are free for everyone to use and enjoy between Easter and 31 October from 10am to 10pm, on a first come, first served basis.
You will currently find the electric BBQ’s at:
Bournemouth Beach – To the east of Bournemouth pier just before Harry Ramsden’s
Boscombe – To the east of Boscombe Pier, opposite Urban Reef
Branksome Chine – includes accessible bbq’s
Fisherman’s Walk – includes accessible bbq’s
The BBQs are for everyone to use. Please note:
• BBQs are available on a first come, first served basis only
• You cannot use the BBQs for commercial or monetary gain. No financial transactions can take place e.g. you can’t sell food or drinks
• Be considerate of people waiting, don’t monopolise the BBQ
• No large groups of over 30
• The promenade cannot be used for unloading or for parking
• BCP Council Byelaws must be observed
• Look after your BBQ and help to keep it clean
• Do not use disposable BBQs on the electric hotplate as they damage the surface.
The following guidelines must be adhered to:
• BBQ’s cannot start before 6pm and must be completed by 10.30pm.
• Maximum attendance at a BBQ is 100 people. For BBQ’s of over 30 people you will need to complete an application form and return along with a comprehensive risk assessment and a copy of your £5 million Public Liability Insurance. Telephone 01202 128555 for details.
• No loud or amplified music is permitted – please keep all noise to a minimum.
• Generators of any kind are not permitted on the beaches or promenades.
• Only charcoal BBQ’s may be used – there can be NO OPEN FIRES or fire pits.
• The erection of tents or other structures is not permitted.
• Flashing lights are not permitted on site – you are on the shoreline and the use of flashing or laser lights can be hazardous.
• There must be no financial transactions carried out in relation to the BBQ e.g. payment for food or drinks by the general public.
• The promenade cannot be used for access, unloading or equipment or parking of vehicles.
• Car parking charges as posted will apply if using any Council car park whilst attending any event, BBQ or private function.
• Please leave the site in a clean and tidy condition. All litter must be removed and deposited in nearby waste bins. Please remember to recycle.
• Please do not bury rubbish in the sand – it may cause a health & safety hazard to other beach users.
• For smaller disposable BBQ’s please leave them on the edge of the promenade and the beach cleansing team will remove once they have cooled down.
• DO NOT put hot ashes in the plastic waste bins.
• For large BBQ’s please make arrangements to remove the ashes from site and dispose of away from the seafront.
• Please give proper consideration and respect to other beach users.
• Council officers will be carrying out routine checks and have the authority to enforce these guidelines.