To add an event please click here
- This event has passed.
Art exhibition at Dolphin Shopping Centre
July 30 - August 12
Art exhibition comes to Dolphin Shopping Centre to celebrate ‘Art in the Heart of Poole’
The Dolphin Shopping Centre in Poole has partnered with Poole & East Dorset Art Society (PEDAS) to bring a 2-week activity programme to its Eco Hub, from Monday July 30 until Sunday August 12.
Workshops and demos include:
• Talk from Dorset Wildlife Trust (10am-2pm) – Tuesday July 31
• Launch Party (12-2pm) – Wednesday August 1
• Van Gogh demo with Barry Kavanagh (10-11am) – Friday August 3
• Ukulele workshop – BYO instrument with Pete and Craig (2-4pm) – Sunday August 5
• Teeny Tots Arts with Norma (10am-4pm) – Tuesday August 7
• Portrait demo with model, with PEDAS President John Bowen (9am-12pm) – Wednesday August 8
• Interactive session with PEDAS President John Bowen (2-4pm) – Wednesday August 8
• Wax resist painting workshop (2-4pm) – Thursday August 9
• Pop in and paint with Sally Holland (1-3pm) – Friday August 10
• Watercolours with Penny Wilton (11am-12pm) – Sunday August 12
PEDAS’ summer exhibition ‘Art in the Heart of Poole’ is set to take place in the shopping centre’s Eco Hub, located in the lower mall of the centre. PEDAS is a long-established and active local art society, founded in 1924 and welcomes artists from all genres. The majority of workshops and activities during the 2-week programme are free for members of the public, with some incurring a small charge.
John Grinnell, centre manager at the Dolphin Shopping Centre, commented: “We’re pleased to be welcoming PEDAS to the Eco Hub for ‘Art in the Heart of Poole.’ We like to keep our shoppers entertained with events throughout the year and we hope they enjoy the range of workshops and demos available to them throughout this exhibition.”
Dorset Wildlife Trust, the county’s biggest conservation charity, will be hosting various talks, including a session on Tuesday July 31 about seas and a talk on Saturday August 11 about wildlife gardening.
Norma Rawlings, PEDAS member, commented: “We’re thrilled that this opportunity presented itself and are very grateful to the Dolphin for providing a space for our summer exhibition and workshops. There is a distinct lack of art venues in Poole, apart from the Gallery Upstairs at Upton Country Park, which PEDAS runs on behalf of the Borough of Poole, booking out to local artists and groups. It’s a super venue but not amenable to running workshops, so this is going to be a showcase for members of PEDAS as well as a chance for the public to engage with art and have a go themselves.
“People will even be able to watch our President, John Bowen, paint a portrait! We hope to see lots of visitors and holidaymakers.”
The Eco Hub launched earlier this year as part of the Dolphin’s ongoing commitment to sustainability. It is open during the centre’s regular opening hours and is free to use. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any booking enquiries.
John added: “The Eco Hub is a great opportunity for people to use the dedicated in-centre space for workshops and exhibitions. We encourage other society leaders to get in touch with us to find out more about using the free community space.”
For more information on events at the Dolphin Shopping Centre, visit www.dolphinshoppingcentre.co.uk
Full programme of activity:
• 31st July, 10-2pm – A talk by Dorset Wildlife Trust
• 1st August, 12-2pm – Launch Party
• 2nd August, 10-11am – Watercolours with Penny Wilton, materials provided
• 3rd August, 10-11am – Van Gogh Demo with Barry Kavanagh
• 4th August, 10.30am – ‘Planet Earth Needs Our Help’ talk, based on the children’s book about Earth and climate change, written and illustrated by Marylyn Cropley (PEDAS member)
• 4th August, 2-4pm – Musical Freeplay Collective session with Marylyn Cropley and friends
• 5th August, 2-4pm – A chance to play Ukulele with Pete and Craig, bring along your own ukulele
• 7th August, 10am-4pm – Teeny Tots Arts with Norma, workshops for aged 5 and under using recycled objects, paint and glue, £4 per child per session (Wriggly Snakes 10-11am, Mobiles 11.30-12.30pm, Piggy in a Field 1.30-2.30pm and Beach scene 3-4pm)
• 8th August, 9am-12pm – Portrait demo with model, with John Bowen
• 8th August, 2-4pm – Interactive session with John Bowen
• 9th August, 2-4pm – Wax resist painting with Norma, materials provided
• 10th August, 1-3pm – Pop in and paint with Sally Holland, bring oils if you have them
• 11th August, 10am-2pm – A talk by Dorset Wildlife Trust
• 12th August, 11am-12pm – Watercolours with Penny Wilton, materials provided
10% commission on all sales and charged workshops will go to MARINELife. For more information about Poole & East Dorset Art Society (PEDAS), visit www.pedas.org.uk
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of this calendar. Dates and times may be subject to change, you are advised to check beforehand with the event organiser. We cannot be held liable for any errors or misprints or for any cancelled or rescheduled events. Maps are for guidance only and you are advised to obtain detailed location details before planning any journey.